Thursday, April 2, 2015

Orange Is The New Red: Some Oranges I Love and One That Made Me Go What?!

Who am I kidding, red will always be my lip color of choice, but as it gets really really hot here in California, and as the orange lip trend is spreading like wildfire, I wanted to show you what I reach for when I want an orange lip. And to end...an orange lip warning of sorts.

orange lipstick swatches
Surprisingly, these are the only orange lippies that I own, beyond some balms and a Lancome gloss I have practically finished, so any recommendations are welcome in the comments!

From left to right:
Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick in Geranium ($8.99): A gel finish with just a hint of sparkle. A very true orange.
Lipstick Queen Chinatown Glossy Pencil in Chase ($22): Balmy but still gives nice color, this shade runs more pinky/orange.
Beautifully Disney Change Your Fate Lipgloss ($14.95): A sheer orange gloss without sparkle.
NYX Intense Butter Gloss in Orangesicle ($6.99): So pigmented! An orange that leans more red than the other shades.
NYX Macaron Lipstick in Orange Blossom ($6.99): A matte pastel orange. More on this later.

Revlon Ultra HD lipstick in Geranium is a recent find. It is the line that Emma Stone is touting all over the television, so naturally I picked it up at Ulta through some type of subconscious marketing. I love the consistency. It is gel-like and buildable with a punchy finish on the lips. Lasts roughly 4 hours on me but I hate the packaging (can be seen in first photo), just plastic and kind of tacky in my opinion. 

Lipstick Queen Chinatown Glossy Pencil in Chase
 I have had Lipstick Queen's Chinatown glossy pencil in Chase for a while now, and I still reach for it often. I love the thinness of both the consistency and the actual pencil and it feels good on the lips. This is not the most intense orange since it reads a bit pinker on lips, but it is still fresh. I do disklike the smell of Lipstick Queen lippies though--very drugstore/artificial.

Beautifully Disney Change Your Fate gloss
The Beautifully Disney gloss in Change Your Fate, named after Princess Merida, is also something I reach for regularly when I want something subtle but not typical pink. This is a sheer look, similar to the Lipstick Queen pencil.

NYX Intense Butter Gloss in Orangesicle
NYX Intense Butter Gloss in Orangesicle is new to my collection, but it much different than the original Butter Gloss formula. The smell is the same, but this is thicker and more like a liquid lipstick than a gloss. As you can see it is full pigment in one swipe and really should be worn with a liner. I think it is a gorgeous bright orange color but because of the thickness does get a bit messy if you over-apply.

NYX macaron lipstick in orange blossom
NYX Macaron Lipstick in Orange Blossom was something I wanted forever and after looking at swatches, I thought this would be a matte bright orange. Um...who on Instagram is swatching this?? Because this is not what I have seen ladies. DO NOT TRUST THE GRAM. As you can see, this is a sickly sad pumpkin color with extra horrible sprinkled in. Please avoid. I don't know how I can make this work because Ulta accidentally sent me TWO of these when I ordered these so long ago. Help.

What is your favorite orange lippie? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!